Blue Flower

24. Riebeeck Square

14. The Old Pump House

 

Category
Landmark/Attraction
Address
Labounere St
Oranjezicht
Cape Town
8001
South Africa
Mapcode
ZAF 7Y.P0

From the 17th century onwards, water for Cape Town's domestic use was fetched by slaves from public fountains. At the beginning of the 19th century an improved system of water supply was introduced whereby water from the mountain was collected in dams and led from there into a series of wells by means of wooden and iron pipes. On top of the well a pump house would be built and equipped with a swinging pump, also known as a "hurling pump", which was worked manually by slaves. Water then issued from an opening, usually carved as the mouth of a lion. According to local tradition, the pump was introduced by Jan Frederik Hurling, a Swedish colonist who arrived at the Cape in 1743. The pump house in Prince Street, the only remaining example of this system, was declared a National Monument under old NMC legislation on7 May 1937.

(info from Historical Monuments by JJ Oberholster and http://www.sahistory.org.za/places/pump-house-corner-prince-and-sir-george-grey-streets-oranjezicht

10. Welgemeend

11. Leewenhof

9. Rust en Vreugd